1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Auto Industry

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Jan 23, 2009.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    My husband is part of the steel mill that makes the steel for Chevy and Toyota. He has been laid off since Nov. This is a question to everyone...Have you all seen the 2009-2010 cost of the new cars? I watched Good Morning America, Matt L. was in Michigan talking to one of the big wigs that are working only for $1.00 so he said. They showed several cars. They are asking almost $40,000.00 for them and they talked like that was a deal! Who can afford a car, etc. at 30-40ks. We can't and I don't know any one who can. He said that only $800 per vehicle went to auto workers. The only car, truck, etc. that we will be able to afford is a used one. They don't even come that cheap anymore!! My question is how do they expect the middle class to buy these cars at these prices and everyone out of work. If they can't sell them the ripple effect continues. We all know they are over priced making the rich man richer!! Will there ever see an end to the worker feeding the rich mans pocket? I sure hope so. There should be a limit on what they make and bonus's should go to the actual workers! The only time you'll see a CEO sweat is when his job has been threatened, not from actually working. That might wrinkle their high $ suit! The prices need to come back down so the working class can afford them, don't you agree? It is like the bank was finally broke from all the high prices. It is time for a change, for the working class and for the CEO's etc.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Everything costs more now... You have to look at the big economic picture. I'm sure you're focused on this one product because it's close to home, metaphorically.

I'm sorry to hear that your family is on rough times. [​IMG]

3. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

My husband is a steel worker, too, in a plant that is primarilly furnishes for the auto industry. Most of our plant has been laid off. It is a really hard time but I do believe things will turn around.

4. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Yes, I know..everything is higher..groceries are more and come in smaller containers..I wonder why everything went up so quick with the gas prices, but they never came back down with the gas prices?

5. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Quote:I know things will turn around. We have been checking into buying a new truck..I prefer Ford. We have contacted Ford dealerships from Ashland Ky. to Genoa, Ohio. We have only got 1 response from Jackson, OH, They didn't have any of the 2008 F150 or any 2008s. They didn't even offer to help locate us one. The dealerships are not even trying to help us. If we are being treated this way..how many other people are being done this way? My husbands plant makes steel for Chevy and Toyota..maybe I am just looking in the wrong place. We just thought by buying on of last years inventory would help some how in the auto industry.

6. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Recession... remember? Prices may come down in time, but for now people are still trying to sell their stock they bought last year for last year's prices without loosing money. As fewer people buy and find other means (gardens, chickens, buses, etc) THEN prices will start to come down. It's going to take time though. Most forecasters said things won't turn around for 2-3 years.

I know my husband was job hunting last summer and I told him to stay clear of the auto industry. They are always hard hit because cars are really a luxury item that we have been taking for granted. Really most of us could get by on ONE car, but opt for more. Some of us can even use the bus or train system if we had to. Think back to what you learned in history class (or lived through for some of you) about the last recession. What were the first things to fall by the wayside?

I think the thread that was started on ways to make it through was great. I always read the updates on it.

7. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Is everything higher or have wages failed to keep up with the rest of inflation? I'm sure there's an answer to that out there somewhere. I wonder if we have lost sight of Henry Ford's ideals to make his product affordable to his workers.

I've only purchased one new car in my lifetime, and that was ONLY because it fit a specific purpose and the improvements in the new model year allowed me to buy a car with a lower gas mileage, which saved me tons of money in the long run.

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Sadly, the American auto industry is doomed. With in a few years, all automobiles will be made in Asia. Between the greed of the UAW and the mandates of the US government it is impossible to manufacture a good automobile at a decent price in the USA.

Don't look for it to come back; it won't. Move on to something else.

I was priced off the road years ago. There is an upside to this though; once you start taking the bus you save money on gasoline, repairs and insurance. And public transit is much safer than automobile travel.

This is a bitter pill, but there seems to be no way around the problem.

Good Luck,

Rufus

9. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    things will get worse before they better it aint just the auto industry its the constuction trade too.

the biggest problem is lobbyist, who'll lobby for the poor man?

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I may be late on the news but didnt they get the bailout money?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by