Auto mechanics....I have a question :D

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cindiloohoo, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I went to look at a little truck today. It has a blow by, burns a little oil, but it is dripping down onto the drive shaft? I think and burning off, makes the truck smoke a bit. Anyway, it also is making a little noise under the hood. It is not top of the motor, but on the bottom. The rocker arms have been checked and are fine. It knocks though. Could it be a piston? This is a 1981 Nissan pick up. The guy is only asking $250 for the truck. It runs, rides smooth, drives great, but there is the noise...what are the possibilities? I need a worst case scenario of what it might cost to fix, and an estimation of whether it'd be worth it to get it, fix it up, and drive it till the wheels fall off. It's not too bad looking of a truck, minimal rust, few dents...but just hoping for it to be a knock around, hauling feed, scrap metal, aluminum cans to the recycler, goats to sale barn type truck. If I blow the motor on the way home, I can get close to what I paid back just to junk it. Soooo, what say you mechanics of BYC? Buy it and chance it? OR don't waste my time on it?

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:knocks and blow by? It's got a spun crank bearing and the rings on the pistons are worn out. 250 for a running truck though... Run it till it blows, junk it and hope you get your money's worth. I'd buy it for 250..

3. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    That's kinda what I were thinkin [​IMG] I just wonder what it would cost to fix the issues. Those little Nissans like that are hard to kill! I'd like to be able to keep it a year or so at the very least, until we can afford a "real" truck LOL!

ETA: It only has around 200K miles...I say ONLY because they will go for 400K usually. I had a itty bitty Datsun that went 450K [​IMG] LOVED that ugly car!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:use a heavier weight oil, keep it fresh n topped off and let her rip!!! I have a chevy cavilier with close to 300k on it with all origional motor. Even has a blown head gasket... but it blew on the outside. All I do is keep the water topped off, fluids changed and life is good. Pushing for 350k on it... Another 250$ vehicle.... hm.....

5. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:use a heavier weight oil, keep it fresh n topped off and let her rip!!! I have a chevy cavilier with close to 300k on it with all origional motor. Even has a blown head gasket... but it blew on the outside. All I do is keep the water topped off, fluids changed and life is good. Pushing for 350k on it... Another 250$ vehicle.... hm.....

Yep, THAT's what I'm talkin about! I think I'll go snatch it up Monday morning. Hubby has decided it isn't such a bad idea either, so I figure I'm buyin [​IMG]

6. bradsigma786

bradsigma786 New Egg

Jan 10, 2012
    I have just finished my college and want to make my career in auto mechanics so looking for any advice regarding it’s future and earning per year. I have done degree in engineering but they said you are over qualified, is there anything I can do to get a job in auto mechanic field, need help please.

Auto mechanics

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I am not familiar with Nissan's, my vehicles all have a bow tie. That being said, you might be able to drop the oil pan and do the bearings to get a few more miles out of it. That wouldn't help the piston rings but might get rid of some of the knock. If it has a knock sensor and a computer, the knock sensor would tell it to adjust the timing and it could start stalling when you let off the gas. If that is the case, you could try disconnecting the knock sensor.

My little S10 had to have her engine replaced at 275k, she was used a lot in severe weather. There were days when it was so cold out, it felt like the tranny was filled with grease instead of oil. We could have probably got a few more miles out of that engine but it was tired and our son was in an auto shop class at school. He used it as a project so the labor was done for free and their shop was a lot warmer than our unheated garage in February... The funny part, it's a 1993 and the OE battery was manufactured in 1987. The OE battery was finally replaced in 2008.

Boyd, how much do you know about electrical systems? [​IMG]

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    This is a really old thread....I am sure the truck was bought or sold by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by