Auto open/close coop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by krys2000, Nov 1, 2011.

1. krys2000

krys2000 Out Of The Brooder

My DH wants to make our coop door automatic on a timer. He wants to use a drill motor to set this up. It's a lift and latch door right now but can easily be modified. If anyone could lend their expertise to him in non-engineer speak, I'd appreciate it greatly!

Thanks![​IMG]

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Someone did this on Instructables. Might also be on YouTube.

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Wow....lots of posts here on auto doors. Many people wanting to get creative with all types of motors to drive them, i.e Drill motors, automobile door window motors, etc... by the time you factor in what other component it will take to make it all work.....like various switches, limit switches to control up and down movement, relays, wiring, fasteners to adapt un like materials together, relays, batteries, chargers, solar panels, timers, on and on and on. Kiss always works for me...... Keep It Simple Stupid(not meaning you or hubby) For $100.00 the D20 Add-A-Motor works flawlessliy for me and may others. Build a simple vertically sliding door in a simple track, attach the motor per instructions included and hook up to simple timer. Bingo!....door goes up and down with no problem, at times you set. Peace of mind at not a bad price. Quit trying to be Benjamin Franklin the inventor and go with waht is proven to work. Just my humble opinion.
    Erik

Here is a picture of my first one. Second one in newest coop on the way. Love it .

[​IMG]

4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:I tend to agree. This auto door project can be a little bit complicated when using a drill motor (something's gotta tell the drill when to stop running & when to reverse direction) and the add-a-motor isn't terribly expensive. However, I sorta think the powered car antenna approach would simplify some of the on-off stuff and isn't terribly expensive.

Some folks like to tinker with this sorta stuff and turn it in to a neat little project, and it can save a little bit of money if you can salvage some old stuff from the garage (probably won't save time, but can save money).

So, it's the proverbial question...Do you want to save time or money? [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I tend to agree. This auto door project can be a little bit complicated when using a drill motor (something's gotta tell the drill when to stop running & when to reverse direction) and the add-a-motor isn't terribly expensive. However, I sorta think the powered car antenna approach would simplify some of the on-off stuff and isn't terribly expensive.

Some folks like to tinker with this sorta stuff and turn it in to a neat little project, and it can save a little bit of money if you can salvage some old stuff from the garage (probably won't save time, but can save money).

So, it's the proverbial question...Do you want to save time or money? [​IMG]

I just want it to work.

6. krys2000

krys2000 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks all for your awesome advice and pics!!

I think my hubby wants to tinker and have fun with it. I, being the wife, just want it to work and put a stop to hearing my children whine about having to get up early to do chicken chores. (Tales from Mom's life growing up on a llama ranch never seem to get them to quit whining.) [​IMG]

Also, finances are rather tight right now so any $ we can save is needed.

So, anyone want to share plans for how to get a drill to work or refer me to a post of someone who has made it work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by