1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Auto sexing chanteclers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by walkonwatereh, Nov 8, 2015.

1. walkonwatereh

walkonwatereh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    I live where winter is half the season (northern Ontario) and have set my mind on chanteclers. I currently have New hampshires, Wyandottes, and Jersey Giants. Also have experience with hybrids but don't want to go that route as I want my flock to breed true. I want a practical utility breed that can thrive during our harsh winters. I love the New hampshire colouring and early maturity, not impressed with Wyandotes and Jersey Giants mainly for slower maturity and slower maturity is more feed and cost. However the New hampshires have a single comb which does not like sub zero temps. So here is my question, I want the new hampshire look but with a chantecler like comb and wattles, and I want the birds to be auto sexing. This is probably above my head as a relative newbie, (3 years with chickens) but hey, if it is worth doing it is worth over doing. I have read everything I can find about creating an auto sexing breed here on Backyard chickens as well as on the web. I am assuming I would first have to get the coloring to what I want (new hampshire like) and then add a baring gene. Any thoughts or advice on this. I really like the look of the bielefelders but don't want a single comb. Also I want a breed that free ranges well and blends in to reduce predation from the air, hence the New hampshire colouring with baring added. Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by