auto sexing chicks????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cartersmith, May 11, 2011.

1. cartersmith

cartersmith Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    hi brought some hatching eggs and they are barred plymoth rock crossed RIR i was tols i can sex from one day old, anyone know how this works and how can tell the roos from the hens xxx

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    when you look at the feathers (this has to be done at a day old!) you will see 2 rows of feathers. if the feathers are the same height its a roo and if one row is shorter then the other you have a hen! i think it is that way hold on let me check yea here is the video if you would like to look at it.... just skip to 3:11

3. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    I think a plymoth barred rock and a RIR cross (if the hen was the BR and the roo is the RIR) gives you black sex linked.

I just found this:
    "Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds"

4. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    i wish my lavender ameraucanas were that easy to sex [​IMG]

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Nope that won't work.Feather sexing can only be done if "The breeder flock for the female line must be slow feathering only, and the breeder flock for the male line must be fast feathering only. To breed for the chicks you would then cross the slow feathering females with the fast feathering males."
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKFeathSex.html
    Now they can be sex linked if The pullets are barred rocks and the roo is the RIR.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by