auto turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by broken bridge farms, Dec 14, 2011.

1. broken bridge farms

broken bridge farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    i using a auto turner is it still ok to leave the chick in the incubator till they dry my wife pulled one out and put it in the brooder to dry and it died and hour later

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Welcome to BYC.

Any auto turners should be unplugged and removed from the incubator, and you should stop turning the
    eggs on the 18th day of incubation - 3 days prior to hatch.

This is extremely important because not only is it extremely easy for a chick to get caught and injured in an
    auto turner, but the eggs should not be turned 3 days prior to hatch because they need to position
    themselves for hatching. So to answer your question - no. It is not ok. Judging by the statement that you've
    already removed one dry chick, I'm guessing your eggs have already started hatching. if so it's to late to
    remove the auto-turner. However you should atleast un-plug it. Keep the 'bator closed until all other eggs
    hatch or theres no pips.

Now, as for the chick that died - how did he act? The auto-turner is not to blame, for his death.

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. broken bridge farms

broken bridge farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    the one that died we put in the brooder he was just hatched he was fine moving around making noise then 1hr later i when in to check on it and it was dead the temp. in the brooder was 100 deg

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    He may have possibly tumbled into his water bowl and drowned.

Chicks have been known to tumble into their water bowl and breath in water. Some have even fell
    asleep with their beaks in the water dish and breathed in water. If this is the case, I'd put marbles
    in the water dish so there's only cracks and crevices with water in them for them to drink out of.

Wishing you luck with the rest of your eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by