Auto Waterer w/o nipples HELP

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Irish Cluck, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Irish Cluck

Irish Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Ok, so anyone who has conquered this exercise in fluid dynamics please let me know.

Gravity feeder - EASY

Gravity Waterer - not so simple

My thoughts:

Starting on top & working way down

5gallon bucket for water

Verticle 2" pvc pipe out bottom of bucket to a ball valve into a 2" pvc pipe

Adaptor to 4" or larger pipe. Approximately 2' of larger pipe then reduce back to 2" (verticle)

Ball valve, 2" pipe into a trap

Horizontal section of pipe with cutouts for drinking.

Process:
    1.) Put H2O into bucket
    2.) close bottom valve
    3.) open top valve filling large section of pipe.
    4.) close top valve, open bottom valve (filling drinking section with "on demand" water)
    5.) repeat when needed?

WILL THIS WORK?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    The ball valve will help in filling. The top water fixture needs to be air tight.

3. Irish Cluck

Apr 6, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    that was why I had the top ball valve as well as bottom.

bottom to close off when filling it with new water, top one for when in use.

My hope is, once I get my rain barrels done, to hook this up to run off of a rain bucket all summer, spring & fall!

WORRY FREE WATER!!!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  4. dragon86

dragon86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    west frankfort, il
    if u get a bucket or something to hold the water in for them to drink u can buy a float valve for it so when the waters low it fills back up i plan on doing this later on right now my just has a ball valve to turn it on when i want to fill it.

these are older pics i got both barrels raised up off the ground now at least a foot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    way to complicated

i just replied to a thread concerning auto water, could be very easily adapted to your application.

[​IMG]

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    WILL THIS WORK?

The theory sounds good as long as it's all airtight.

I'm not sure why you need a trap at the bottom when a straight pipe would work just as well as long as the height above the bottom of the end container was correct​

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. Irish Cluck

Apr 6, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Thanks for all the replys. I don't have a faucet near by (otherwise) I would use that set up "twenty nine".

Bear Foot, If I don't need a trap...all the better, I thought I would in order to keep stuff that is kicked in or "dropped" in from floating back up through the system up and just siting in the water tank.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  8. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Sounds like an interesting plan. As long as the ball valves are air tight... should work well.

The big bucket (or rain water collector) is your water source. And the section of 4" pipe is your waterer "tank". You close the lower valve... open the upper... and fill your waterer "tank" from your water source (bucket)... then close upper valve and open lower valve. This then creates an airtight waterer "tank" to supply the lower portion cutouts. Very nice.

The two valves allow you to fill the waterer "tank" from your water source without loosing water out the cutouts. Cool.

A trap at the bottom before the horizontals section should keep floaties from getting back up into your 4" pipe section "tank"... like you explained.

Only downside might be the cost of the larger diameter pipe pieces and valves... and the height of 4" pipe needed to make a large enough "tank"... and then having to get water up to that level (bucket up that high... or plumbing in rainwater collector up to the top of the 4" pipe height)

Look forward to seeing pics and hearing how it works. "Worry free water"... but not automatic... still gotta work the valves and fill the "tank" yourself.

Cheers!

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't need a water spikett. You already have a barrel. Pipe up to bucket instead of your setup. Bucket requires nothing but head pressure to work.

10. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:Hey 29... about the bucket with float valve design. The big holes are for the chickens to put there head in and get water and the water level is kept just below these holes by the float... is that correct?

How often do you have to clean out the bucket and the float mechanism? Do they get real dirty in there?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by