1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic chicken door question for people who get snow

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Slingha, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Slingha

Slingha Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm looking to get an automatic chicken door.

For some reason my last post was deleted. Thought I'd try again....

First of all, do you let your doors operate in Winter? Or do chickens just stay in the coop?

Secondly, if you do let your chickens out.....for people who get snow in the winter, which door do you use? I know the pullet shut gets high marks but a swinging door is not a good idea with some of the snow we've seen in NJ this winter.

The ador1 is mounted outside which I'm thinking May not do too well with ice and snow.

That leaves me doors that raise straight up and mount indoors.

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

2. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! ! ! :welcome

I have the automatic door that goes up and down installed on the inside between the studs. I really like it and have had no problems with the door. I really like it. Last winter I set it for a little later in the morning about 10 am and shut it 15 min after dark to give stragglers time but in the winter time they seemed to come in earlier anyway. This year my girls are cooped up since mid december due to a dog attack and after recovering for a month werent acclimated. Since the door opens into a covered run I don't have any problems with the snow getting in the way. I also have clear vinyl covering the sides of the run to keep out wind.l Hope this Helps! :)

3. Slingha

Feb 7, 2014
    Thank you for the welcome. What door do you have?

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have the d 20 add a motor and it opens into the covered run, they come in and out as they please, if you can't cover the run maybe build a small roof or porch over the opening, this door has worked flawlessly since day one and is 75 percent less money than some of the other ones out there.

5. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Its from Fleming Outdoors. :) It was pretty easy to install. I have the control covered with a board to keep most of the dust out also, since the chickens and litter etc makes for a lot of dust in the coop!

6. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Is it the plug in one or the battery operated one? I was interested in getting the battery operated one but I wanted to see how other people like it first.

7. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    I have an electric one. :)

8. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I have an Ador1. I have been operating it all winter. The only problem I have had is on about 3 mornings, after some rain and temps above freezing the night before when it closed, but dipped below freezing during the night, and it did not open. I just had to tap the bottom and push the button, and it went right up. Some of the moisture had frozen.

Another good door I think is the Incredible Poultry Door. (I like them and I sell them.)
    http://www.todayshomesteader.com/coop-accessories/the-incredible-poultry-door/

9. Slingha

Feb 7, 2014
    That's exactly what im worried about with that door. It could short the motor or if we are away. Looks good in theory.

So I guess im down to 3.... The Poultry Door, Frontyard Coops, or the Poultry Butler

The other other possibility is I may get creative and install the add-a-motor but plug it into a wifi enabled 110 outlet. That way I can control it without having to go outside.

10. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by