Automatic Chicken Door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sarah orr, Jun 9, 2016.

1. sarah orr

sarah orr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2016
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to Backyard Chickens and this is my first time raising a flock of ladies (and one hopefully pleasant beautiful rooster)! My chicks are a little over a month and we are building their coop now. My question is about automatic chicken doors. I've read many of the past threads and have a vague idea of what I am looking for. I am wanting to hear from people that have had their doors installed and working for years. I am ultimately interested in getting the most reliable and durable one. (pullet shut?, adore?) I also like the idea of one that has a solar sensor or something, but I live in grey Portland Oregon and would like to hear if they work well. So what is the best door out there these days that is reliable? Thanks so much

Sarah

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi Sarah - Welcome to BYC!

I have the Ador, it's been in use for 1 year with no issues. I haven't even changed the battery. Opens in the morning, closes in the evening.

Is it the best? Heck, I don't know but I have no complaints except when I changed the program at first and it was a bit of a pain. Haven't touched it since then.

3. sarah orr

sarah orr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2016
    Thanks! It seems like Adore and Pullet Shut seem to be getting the best reviews. It's such SO hard to commit. [​IMG]

4. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    It is. The main reason I chose the Ador is the smaller profile. Since we will be re-configuring the run someday, I didn't want the door to be swinging the "wrong way" in the future, or to be sticking out into the run where I'd eventually run into it. (LOL - I could see myself kicking it while changing out the waterers or something,)

My friend has the pullet-shut and she really likes it.

5. mrballance

mrballance Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have the pullet-Shut door for three years and have not had any problems. I have the solar charger and the light sensor that opens and closes at dawn and dusk.

1 person likes this.
  6. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I've had the Ador for >1 year, and it has worked flawlessly. I'm using the external sensor to increase the light input, because it is set up in a darker corner.

I think both the Pullet and Ador are fine, depends on your configuration/space, as was mentioned. (I didn't get the Pullet shut, because it would have been open right were I would have come around the corner).

1 person likes this.
  7. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Have you ever changed the battery? I'm wondering how long it will last

8. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I caved and replaced mine at about 6 months because we were leaving for 2 weeks, and I didn't want the neighbor caring for them to have to deal with it.
    But at that point, the battery showed no signs of fading!

The batteries are so inexpensive, you could just swap it out for peace of mind. Of course, if you're around, the Ador does have a low battery warning.

It would be kind of interesting to see how long yours lasts!

9. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Yes, that's kind of why I haven't changed it yet!

1 person likes this.
  10. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    I'm in the automatic chicken door market too, and it seems like Adore and Pullet Shut are the most secure. I don't understand how the string pulled doors stay secure at night. Seems like a raccoon or some other predator could just pry/ lift it up, right???

On a side note, I didn't think I would want to spend the money on an automatic door, cause I was just getting chickens for garden help, eggs and eventually meat... but then I got the chicks, they instantly captured my heart and not only will they never see a dispatch site, but there's not really any amount of money I wouldn't spend to keep them safe and secure, lol! #newcrazychickenlady

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by