Automatic chicken door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Craxe77, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Craxe77

Craxe77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Hello all,

I just finished my automatic chicken door and wanted to post what I have so far. I copied this from a youtube video that I found and wanted to share my attempt. His was much better but I had a little trouble finding some of the components locally. His video is at . A schematic of how to set up the electronics is at the end of the video.

I will be trying newer components among other things and cleaning it up a bit before I say the project is totally complete. I could have bought a nice one that looks so much better but where is the fun in that. Plus it's is much cheaper to make yourself.

I bought the following components:
    - 12vdc motor - From newegg.com
    - Two 12vdc DPDT relays - From Sears
    - Two 250V 16A SPDT 1NO 1NC Long Straight Hinge Lever Switches - From Sears
    - Timer Relay Switch Din Rail Mount Digital Weekly Programmable Timer DC/AC 12V
    - Wooden Spool from arts and craft store
    - Motor shaft mounting hub - from Pololu.com https://www.pololu.com/product/1997
    - Wood scraps that I had lying around.

Here is the wiring and components without the cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I assembled the door out of scraps I had lying around. Here is a video. (I am not a professional)
    [​IMG]

Here is the cover I built to house it all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Well done! Thanks for sharing!

3. Craxe77

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks

4. GBryant890

GBryant890 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    I saved that video too. I think the only thing I'd do differently is to replace the lever switches with magnetic proximity switches. Less moving parts to go bad.

5. Craxe77

Apr 30, 2016
    Good idea! I was thinking about that also. I was just about to order a couple of them. I'm going to keep my safety cut off switch at the top as a microswitch though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by