Automatic chicken door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brian5161986, Aug 7, 2016.

1. brian5161986

brian5161986 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    South West Michigan
    I will be purchasing an automatic door in the coming week and was wondering if anyone could tell me which door the use or pros and cons of some automatic doors. Am very curious to see what door people recommend as I am fairly new to this chicken thing haha. Thanks

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I use the ChickenGuard and it's great. Haven't had any trouble with it. It also has a lot of different ways you can use it, such as setting it to open via a light sensor or by a timer, etc. And you can set the opening and closing mechanisms separately, so for example you could set it to close via light sensor when it gets dark but set it to open at a specific time.

1 person likes this.
  3. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I also have had the ChickenGuard installed for a couple of months and am happy with it so far! It opens at daylight and I have it set to close just a smidge after dusk. If you're still in the building phase, you might consider whether the sensor will work indoors when constructing your door. We originally had a pulley door opening from the inside and had to reconfigure to accommodate a light sensor that needs to be outside.

1 person likes this.
  4. JayJo

JayJo Chillin' With My Peeps

We have an Ador and we've been happy with it.

5. chickenguardusa

chickenguardusa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2017
    Texas
    What did you end up going with?

6. brian5161986

brian5161986 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    South West Michigan
    I ended up getting a door from chickendoors.com and it has worked amazingly.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by