automatic chicken doors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennh, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    WOW!! Do I ever love these doors! [​IMG] I just purchased two before I went down to Tx to visit my mother. I wanted to make it easier for my husband to take of the chickens while I was gone. They are AWESOME!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I just make sure that they have food and water the night before, and I don't have to worry about going up to the coop in the morning before I go to work. I highly recommend them . I purchased mine through Discount Home Automation

DHA
    3231 Business Park Drive, Suite 101
    VISTA,CA 92083
    UNITED STATES
    (619) 905-4767

Jen

2. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    That price does seem reasonable! I bookmarked it. Thanks [​IMG]
    I would miss letting them out in the morning but it sure would be nice to know that the door was closed on time if I am ever running late in the evening. [​IMG]

3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    is that this one?

Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor
    YOUR PRICE: $79.33

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Link

Can you post us some pics of how yours is setup?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I want to know HOW it can be operated by a battery, as it mentions (but doesn't explain) at the website. If I can use AA or AAA or even C or D batteries, I'd be interested.

I currently have one of the Foy's Electronic Doorkeeper auto doors in my main coop. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. It uses batteries.

5. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Quote:What all comes with the Foy's? I'm looking at getting one, but the website had me confused.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I have the "inside mount" with the light sensor (which comes as one unit - Item 2101) and the 12x25 sliding door (Item 2104). You don't need to buy the light sensor separately, that's for those who already have a unit and want to ADD one. I do have the timer unit but have NOT installed it; I prefer to rely upon the actual light for the door operation.

7. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    So the Foy's comes with a door, tracks, cord, motor thingie, and sensor? I wasn't sure if it included the door and hardware or not...

ETA: Is there a choice between battery-operated or electric?

8. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Foy's is VERY expensive. Mine is on a timer. and it is exactly like the one that Cargo posted pics of. Don't ask me about installation, batteries, etc. My husband did it all. I cannot do ANYTHING electrical, mechanical, etc. Now ask me a GARDENING, or WILDLIFE question, and I'll know all about that ;o)

Jen

=^--^=

9. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    That's the motor we have. The AD20. Don't you just love it?! [​IMG]

DH installed it in the coop. It's mounted between the 2x4s above the door. I can't see it though as he screwed a piece of plywood over it to protect it. We bought a Lowes timer and everything works wonderfully!

The website does have a manual on it. It says how to hook it up, and that it is battery/solar possible.

Try this:

http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AAD20

Scroll down and you'll see the link for it.

http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/discounthomeautomation/content/images/AD20-OwnersManual.pdf

I looked at the Foys too. but they were so dang expensive.

This site was the cheapest I found for the Add-a-motor one. [​IMG]

E/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by