Automatic coop door opener/closer, chickens stuck outside at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenDavid123, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ChickenDavid123

ChickenDavid123 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Central MI
    Have timer set to open at 7am and close at 12 midnight, sometimes all are inside, sometimes one or more stuck outside all night. Any suggestions on how to get them all inside every time?

2. iamsara

iamsara Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    wow, i dont know.. all of mine go inside the coop right before sunset...
    if they are new to the coop and you maybe put foos and or water inside without dinner outside and or something to attract them inside..
    they should go in by themselves once they know its their home...
    good luck! man i want one of those auto doors!

3. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:Do you have a light on inside or just outside the coop? I have heard of chickens being "tricked" by the light escaping from the coop door into the yard and being trapped outside as a result. Do they all prefer roosting inside the coop or are some of the same chickens roosting outside and the ones consistently getting stuck out there?

4. ChickenDavid123

ChickenDavid123 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Central MI
    Yes I have a light inside of coop, on at 6am, off at 9pm. I also have a motion light outside, have set it so chickens do not set it off. Weather has been good, low of over 32 degrees, I’m adding a little more roosting space in coop, think that may be part of problem. Even with door open coop temp is 20 degrees higher than outside. Don’t want any frozen chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by