Automatic coop door problem

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Peeps n Bees, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Peeps n Bees

Peeps n Bees Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2015
    Albany, NY
    I recently bought the Brinsea ChickSafe Xtreme coop door opener. It's been working pretty well for the most part, but three times now it's randomly closed in the middle of the day, locking the chickens out of the coop. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar or has any suggestions. (I did just email the company to see what they have to say.)

I have it set to open and close via the light sensor. But today, for example, it closed while the sun was shining brightly, so there shouldn't have been any chance of it accidentally sensing low light. It was just installed about a month ago, so the batteries should be fine.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Could it be so sensitive that a passing cloud triggers it? Are there sensitivity settings?

3. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    I have a porch light that does that on occasion, it won't turn on till its super dark and stays on half the day. It's a sensor issue, either there is a biuld up on or in the sensor, or a bad sensor

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    That's a thought. Spider webs or dirt on the sensor could possibly cause problems.

5. Peeps n Bees

Peeps n Bees Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2015
    Albany, NY
    I called the company, and they said it must be a problem with the sensor. They're sending me a replacement unit.

As I was standing there with them on the phone, it randomly closed again. And this was after I'd taken if off sensor mode and put it on the timer. So it must be something with the electronics. Hopefully the new one works ok--I really liked this when it was working.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by