1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic coop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LivingCanvas, May 11, 2016.

1. LivingCanvas

LivingCanvas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Question! Do any of y'all have the automatic door (solar powered) and do y'all think it's a worthy investment? We're building our coop this weekend so I'm trying to decide if I should purchase one of just go for the old fashioned door. Thanks in advance!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    We've had one on our new coop for about a week now and we've really enjoyed it. Our's is not solar powered, it runs off a 6volt battery. It's easily convertible to a solar system by adding a small panel. We got ours at the Adorstore.com, it was pricey...but I'm liking it.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ours isn't solar. But if the solar ones work as well as our hard-wired one, then I'd say YES!! Out late and want to sleep in? Sick and want to sleep in? Crappy weather and want to wait till it lets up before running out to open the pop door?? We don't sleep in late here, but you get the idea - it's just awfully convenient...we love ours (have two in two different coops). Plus if we don't get home until after dark (especially in the winter, when it gets dark at 6PM!), I feel like my birds are safe... We made our own using drapery motors, and they've served us well through the years...

4. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
  5. BadFitUp

BadFitUp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Cool idea. I'm going to use a car window motor and a photo cell for a house light. I have all the parts. But not ready for that stage yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by