Automatic Coop Door?

tclegg

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Parkersburg
I was thinking of an auto door-but what I was concerned about was if you a had a chicken that lagged behind--and the door closed with them still outside...they would have no place to go..they would still be out until a human came to check and found them "stuck" outside in the dark? should'nt that be a concern? or am I just making a problem out of nothing?
hu.gif

I am a long time lurker here. But the answer is yes you might have a girl who gets locked out. The trick will be to go check on them to make sure all the girls are in. Once the routine is established the girls will know to get in before the door closes for the night.

Hello,

I bought the one from foys. It closes very slowly and allows the chickens time to get in the coop. It took me two weeks to train them to get in the coop before it closes. I still check on them each night just to be sure they were in and i feel the door was a decent investment. To me the value of the door is more that it opens in the morning at a set time. Even if they are aware they need to get in the coop I am sure I will continue to check to be sure they are in.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on doors and I just went with one with decent reviews. There are doors out there that close and open one time then close again to let in late comers. If your concern is having chickens left out maybe that is the way for you to go. Sorry I don't remember the name but google is magic.

Good luck

In over a year, I have only had ONE pullet miss the door closing cycle. Once. She got in the coop on time the very next night.

The Foy's factory setting on the light sensor operation is very good, as it closes at dusk, about 20 minutes after the last sensible chicken has made it into the coop. But it can be adjusted, too. I have not had to adjust it whatsoever.

I have the pullet-shut automatic door. I have had a couple of problems but I put them down to operator error of some sort. The guy who sells them is always available to help.
This door closes once and then a few minutes later it reopens for the very reason you are concerned.
Having said all of this--last night I came home and all 6 chickens had missed the boat (door). I am fiddling around with the time so I know it's me, but was amused to find 5 girls sitting outside the door and one rooster under the building. Now is he a coward or was he trying to unsuccessfully convince the girls to join him?
Having looked at doors, the thing I liked about this one was that once it closes it can't be pried open by a raccoon or other predator.
good luck

Thanks for all the replies--I was really conerned about this because our work schedule is so sporadic and an automatic door would help alot, but was not sure how dependable they were...Thanks again...

In 15 months I have not had an issue with my door closing out a hen. The only issue was when one of them managed to unplug the motor and lock everyone inside. Luckily I caught it on my way to work.

My auto door has been highly dependable. Mine is on a timer, not a light sensor. So the only time I had a girl shut out was when the days were growing longer and I had the time too early. I check on mine before bed, so it wasn't an issue, other than adjusting the digital timer for about 20 minutes after dark...been using mine since Christmas 09.

I use the add-a-motor and it is flawless. I use it on a timer in case a thurnderstorm would trip the light sensor. The add-a-motor is under $80, super easy to install and dependable.

Back
Top Bottom