1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic Coop Door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SouthernBYChickens, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I was wondering if you all could give me your advice or your opinions on which company makes the best automatic door for a coop. I have looked at many different brands and I can't decide which one I need to get. My coop is inside a large enclosed pen, but the little door on my coop, I leave open 24/7 and I have never had any problems with nightly predators. BUT, I have been noticing that when the girls were/are laying good, I was finding alot of evidence of something "fishy" going on with the eggs. There is almost always evidence of something or some hen eating an egg. So, either I have an egg eater hen or a culprit is coming in possibly during the night and getting to the egg(s) before I get to check them in the afternoons. Anyway, getting an automatic door should rule out the nightly culprit, but I don't know which one to get. Your opinions??

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Everyone has got their favorite door.
    And some people even rig together their own version.

MY personal favorite is the PulletShut Door.
    [​IMG]

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I'm interested in this too. I really did not want to get out of bed to let the chickens out this morning.

4. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I am a teacher, and when we are in school, it is not that difficult to get out there and open them up before I leave for work....but......during the summer, I finally just took a chance and started leaving it open all the time because I was having trouble getting up early enough to their liking. Therefore, I am interested in getting an automatic door. Love having chickens, but I just don't like to get up as early as they do most mornings. :)

5. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I used an "add-a-motor" and made my own door to go with it.

6. LiveFromTahoe

LiveFromTahoe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    I did the add a motor thing too. Love it but you have to have the vertical clearance and with mine that was difficult to access. Love it but it's not without it's little issues. Have to have a pretty light door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by