Automatic Cup Waterer Setup Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by seattlehens83, Aug 5, 2011.

1. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    So here is what I have:

[​IMG]

For whatever reason I cant find any PVC fittings that will screw into the black threaded (male) portion of the cup waterer. Is it my best bet to drill a hole in the pvc and glue it in??? Seems to me that would leak.

Suggestions???

2. seattlehens83

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    So I found this "Water Cup Bracket":

http://www.beaktime.com/accessory.php

Sent them an email to get more details on how it attaches to PVC (like a T fitting) and what size PVC it will connect to.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. clanreed

clanreed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    I don't think the bracket is a necessity. Look at the photo of this one on the Meyer Hatchery website, they don't use them.
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/poultry_cup_waterer.html Looks like they just drilled the correct size hole in the PVC and screwed it in. I think maybe some teflon plumbers tape might be helpful to avoid leaks.

~Shannon

4. seattlehens83

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Just thought I'd post this email that I got from Beaktime.com in case someone in the futre is looking for the info.

The adapter is for a 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and connects with a 3/8 drill hole. Depending on how you are setting it up, you might not need the bracket and can go directly into the pipe with the cups. If you are doing this, make sure you use schedule 40 or they will leak. If you do use the bracket, they just pop right onto the PVC and have threading that the cups screw right into; pretty simple. If you have trouble setting up your own, we have prebuilt waterers that take some stress out of it but you can always ask us any questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by