Automatic door and egg production!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thousand Oaks Family, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    So I could never get up early to let the chickens out and I was wondering if this affected their production. Well I finally purchased a motor from DHA and installed it yesterday. It was the easiest thing in the world to do. Took 10 minutes tops and I even had to do a slight modification. The hens got really freaked out when I took the tools into the run. Anyways I went out this morning to make sure it had worked and not only had it worked one of my girls had just laid. She doesn't normally lay until a couple hours after I let them out which was usually around 8:30 so she laid well after 11. So today she had laid by the same time I normally let her out. . She was laying 2 consecutive days then a day off. I am hoping this earlier lay will get me another egg production day. I will let you know. So I am now a big fan of this motor. It works great and is pretty cheap. The ease of setup definitely makes some of the cost worth it. And if I can get more production then even better!

http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AAD20

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I ordered mine the other day. I'm glad to hear easy install. Tired of letting them out.Also, thinking it will help when I go out of town.

3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I don't know how I lived without my electric door! [​IMG]
    CJ

4. imusa76

imusa76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I just added a door the other day to satisfy the neighburs, by letting the rooster out after 7am.
    right now its manual (kid controled), I want order this kit it looks simple to use, what happens during a power outage? is there a manual overide?

5. Thousand Oaks Family

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Update! Since I have installed my automatic door, my hen has laid 3 days in a row now. We'll see if she can do 4. She was only doing 2 days then a day off before. I think letting them out later reduced her laying hours. Now she can get out at dawn and get her day going. People told me it didn't matter when I let them out but so far it appear it does matter.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Light does affect laying. Less light, less eggs. That's why they slow down in winter. Not enough light out,.

7. Thousand Oaks Family

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Well I do have a light that comes on early in the morning as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by