Automatic door and light control from McMurray

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jack Sparrow, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Las Cruces, NM
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    I am temped by that also, but that price is steep!

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think I like mine better. That one won't open the door if it's less than 20 degrees at sunrise. I suspect the door would just stay closed until the next day, then. I'd rather have a door that opens every day and let the chickens choose to be inside or outside on their own. It's nice that it has the led lights incorporated, though.

4. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Las Cruces, NM
    According to McMurray, you can disconnect the temperature sensor if you want to.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That would be great, then! Okay, except for the money. [​IMG]

Those LED lights are super cheap to run, too. Plus they last a really long time. It would be nice to have everything all in one. If you look at all the many parts you'd need for a door, opener, separate timers for the lights and door, light fixtures, etc. it really starts to add up. Plus you have electrical savings.

6. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Woh! "Except for the money" is right! ... that's a big exception.

[​IMG] Unless you're getting golden eggs, there are other ways, ... and a lot cheaper.

Try the Add-A-Motor . It does the job. Add a timer from Lowes and you're done. (Especially if you're going to disconnect the temp sensor anyway!)

We've had our for about 9 months now, and have not had any issues at all. Reliable and cheap at the same time. (Kinda like DH!) [​IMG]

Take a look around at other ideas. You may be surprised. [​IMG]

E/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Like green eggs said. I would just as soon rig something up with one of those 10 dollar power on/off timers from home depot. Thats what I used for my greenhouse drip system and HPS lights.

8. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  9. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    did you buy this door from McMurray, if so how do you like it? After looking at some of the other ones I am thinking about this one.

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the Add-A-Motor and a programmable timer on my coop... less than $100 total.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by