Automatic door closed on chicken

I have a pullet shut automatic door. Last night I was doing some maintenance in the coup and saw one of the chickens get stuck in the door.

Much screaming but the chicken managed to pull its head out by the time I got around to the outside of the door to open it again. Had a look and the chicken did not look any worse for wear. Followed up this morning and everyone is fine so no harm done.

I have a pullet shut automatic door. Last night I was doing some maintenance in the coup and saw one of the chickens get stuck in the door.

Much screaming but the chicken managed to pull its head out by the time I got around to the outside of the door to open it again. Had a look and the chicken did not look any worse for wear. Followed up this morning and everyone is fine so no harm done.
I have this safety feature I will be in my new coop when I get around to building it.

Quick update on this thread. We have had some predators snuffling around.l My neighbor has an Omlet (plastic) and the raccoon managed to force it open. No such problems with the Pullet Shut (it's pretty beefy metal).

One thing that I would love to add to this is some home automation (state, open it, close it etc). For the moment I have gone super low tech and just put a ring door sensor on it, so I know when it opens and closes and the current state. It still runs on a timer though

Quick update on this thread. We have had some predators snuffling around.l My neighbor has an Omlet (plastic) and the raccoon managed to force it open. No such problems with the Pullet Shut (it's pretty beefy metal).

One thing that I would love to add to this is some home automation (state, open it, close it etc). For the moment I have gone super low tech and just put a ring door sensor on it, so I know when it opens and closes and the current state. It still runs on a timer though
Well the system I have posted in #3, must have missed it in all the posts, uses a SONOFF 4CHPROR3 and when using the free eWlink app, you can set it to push notifications when the door (channel is/has changed status). The app also has a feature that you can hook up an old phone and use it as a web cam. 1 cam is free but for the low cost of $9.99 for a whole year, you can connect up to 5 phones like this. You also get other features too.

The whole system is actually only three main components. SONOFF or Timer(s), a Counter relay, and TPDT relay.

Last edited:

How did you mount ring equipment?

Back
Top Bottom