1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic door opener

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dyorto, May 8, 2016.

1. dyorto

dyorto Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    Michigan
    I've been looking into an automatic door opener. It looks like most of them require you to purchase a thin metal door with it. My coop is new and has a pop door that slides vertically. Is there an opener that can be used with this existing door?
    [​IMG]

2. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    My coop is similar to yours in that I have a vertical wooden pop door that slides up and down. I bought a ChickenGuard. Attached it to the existing door via a pulley. I love it. The best purchase I ever made.

Dom

** Since you are in Michigan I would recommend the "Extreme" version, same one I purchaced, made for extremes in tempatures and can lift up to a 8 lb door. **

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We bought a "Add-a-Motor D20 Chicken Door Opener". We bought it from a website but I think they are available on Amazon. Cost around $100. You attach it to your existing door. There are also demos on You Tube.

We've had it for about a year and other than the string breaking once, it's very dependable.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. dyorto

dyorto Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Thanks. I'll look into both of those. I have heard great things about chicken guard, but they are one of the most pricey ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by