Automatic Door Opener?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by allisojo, Dec 15, 2008.

1. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Has anyone seen or built an automatic pop door for their chickens? I'm thinking of trying to do one on a timer, but if someone on here has already done it, I figure why reinvent the wheel. Suggestions and advice most welcome. Thanks!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm non-mechanical. I bought one from Foy's Pigeons. I love it!!

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    CoyoteMagic

Do you have a name for the product or a product code so that I can look it up?

Thanks!

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
  5. allisojo

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    That's really cool. Expensive though. There's gotta be a way to make one cheaper, don't you think?

6. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    yeah, check the other thread

7. allisojo

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Missed it the first time. Thanks!

8. allisojo

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    That thread was pretty technical, but I think I got the gist of it. I'm not familiar with diodes and have only a vague notion of what a relay actually does, but I think i could get it done with what was posted on that thread.

I was actually thinking of making a purely mechanical (as-in not electrical) chicken door opener. I don't have a problem closing their door at night. It's the morning I'm not wanting to deal with because I go to work so early. If I figure this out, I'll post some pics, if anyone's interested. Thanks for the help and always curious to see what others are doing. Thanks.

9. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    there are a lot of ideas being thrown around there, many of them simple too. it's a lot to read, but there are some simpler ideas mixed in there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by