Automatic Door Opener

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by glandeche, Jan 12, 2011.

1. glandeche

glandeche Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Whats the best door opener for the money in the USA, looking for some honest feedback...i have lost more than a few birds........i wish they sold these at tractor supply!

2. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    Hi. I'm looking for one of these, too, and would appreciate hearing what works well. Some of these door openers cost upwards of $300.00. STEEP!

3. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Prob'ly if you do a search here for "automatic door opener" or "automatic coop door opener" or anything similar, you'll get lots of info that's already been discussed. I'm currently building. I THINK I'm going to go with the Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor and will build my own door. Regards, Woody

PS - If you search for "Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor", I just did, you'll get lots of hits'

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    If you already have a door just get the motor. That's what we did and it works WONDERFULLY. We have the Add a motor one mentioned above. I did all the searching back in May. I found the best price at the time was at Discount Automation (not sure but I think they still are the best price. It's actually cheaper now than when I bought mine.). I ordered it and it arrived without an issue. DH installed it one Saturday morning and we've not had a problem at all with it. [​IMG]

There's a solar kit for it too!! [​IMG] (That's what I want now)

Anyhow, that's my two cents. [​IMG]

E/

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Quote:This is the best set up for the money in my opinion.

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    If you already have a door just get the motor. That's what we did and it works WONDERFULLY. We have the Add a motor one mentioned above. I did all the searching back in May. I found the best price at the time was at Discount Automation (not sure but I think they still are the best price. It's actually cheaper now than when I bought mine.). I ordered it and it arrived without an issue. DH installed it one Saturday morning and we've not had a problem at all with it.

There's a solar kit for it too!! (That's what I want now)

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

E/

What is your door made from? I notice on the instructions, it says not to use wood because of swelling, etc.​

8. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    What is your door made from? I notice on the instructions, it says not to use wood because of swelling, etc.

You can use the Discount Automation D20 motor on any type door. It is rated to lift a four pound door, but I used a earlier version of the same motor that was rated at 40lbs. My set up is a bit unique. I live in the north so my coop is finished. I built my door similar to building a cabinet drawer. I then mounted drawer runners on the studs, attached the motor to the top and it works without fail. I don't have to worry about swelling or freezing.

A simpler design would work too. If you do not want a heavy door, you can buy aluminum channels at a local home store and cut them to length, attach them to the door frame and the door will silde in the channel. Just ensure you get channels that are slightly bigger than the thickness of your door material.​

9. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Quote:What is your door made from? I notice on the instructions, it says not to use wood because of swelling, etc.

Mine is made of wood and it does swell but I made allowance for that and it works just fine. Love it! Would never go back to going out every morning!

10. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Is there a way to use a photocell with the Add a Motor? I don't see any mention of it on their website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by