1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic door opener

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KYChixMama, Apr 26, 2011.

1. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
  2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I don't have that one, but am currently in the process of very seriously researching automatic openers (and waterers) since my husband is talking about us taking a trip. Frankly, I'm MORTIFIED at the idea of leaving my chickens unattended, especially since we don't have all this in place yet, let alone tested and worked out any issues.

I'm looking at one from another UK source, but so far am having a bit of trouble figuring out if I want the internal model or external, or what additional pieces parts that I need to order to get a complete working system. The one I was looking at has been discussed in a few threads on the boards. http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Automatic_Door_Openers.html

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We ordered our first one from Well's, before Foy's started carrying them in the states.

We went with the internal door, since we have raccoons around here and I just thought it would be safer. It's installed so that it slides closed just a little below the door opening. Again, just for some additional safety.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Enjoy your auto-door!

Sorry, I don't know anything about that particular model.

You'll just have to try it and see how well it works for your situation.
    And provide us with a review of the product after you've used it! [​IMG]

We do plan on buying the Pullet Shut Door,
    but for now I have to go outside every morning (when I decide to get up) and let them out.

[​IMG]

5. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:Are these electric or do they run on a battery? There site just does not give alot of details.

6. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    I don't have that particular model, but I've got the VSb from Foys as well. It was easy to install, and I got the one with the timer so I can set the open/close time. It works like a dream and has made owning chickens a breeze. Love it!

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:They run off a 12V battery. (I don't have power in my coop, so this works for me.)

They can also use solar power or they can be wired for an electric setup.

[​IMG]

8. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have a problem......

I don't want to spend over $100 per door for automatic chicken door openers. Has anyone designed their own that work? In my fantasy chicken world, mine automatic door would open and close at specific times, unless the temperature was at, say, 15 degrees F. So I suppose I would need a timer and a thermostat linked in series, a motor and some sort of attachment arm fro the motor to the door.......... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am building a larger coop (10 X 12), but will also have a couple of other pens/coops that could benefit from automatic doors... Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. PeterW

PeterW Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Galway, Ireland
    Yes, I built my own automatic door based on a reference design by C.Fabien. You can find pictures and a video of my door here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5580098#p5580098. It cost less than €30 and has been running for about 5 months now without failure. Only downside is that it runs off a mains timer...no problem for me but may not suit everyone's situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by