automatic door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gjoyner, Nov 17, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

Questions..I was wondering where to get a little door that i can set to a timer. Does anyone know any good CHEAP automatic doors for the coop?
    thanks!

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I don't know much, but I just heard of a guy who is using one of the motors that adjusts the position of a seat in a luxury car that can be controlled remotely from the kitchen of their house. He's an auto mechanic, so I guess he knows how to hook it up, I have no idea.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
  4. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Quote:I think the quick answer is "No" there are no good, cheap automatic doors for sale. You can search the forum and find a lot of discussion threads from those who have made their own, with varying degrees of success. Others rave about how much they love the expensive ones they've bought. I happen to fit into this category.

5. Shoshana

Shoshana Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    Southern VA
    I found a video on YouTube yesterday for an automatic door opener, very well constructed, that I think we're going to get when we build our coop in the spring. The website is www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com and the link to the installation video can be found there. He has a door that slides into a housing for $180 something and $22 shipping, and another item that can be attached to a preexisting door for $120 something plus $12 shipping. HTH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by