automatic door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kerrysmommy, Oct 30, 2011.

1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    is it possible to make one out of random stuff laying around?? my silkie thought it would be fun to sit on the pop door and break it and i was getting tired of going out there and closing it and everything at differnt times because of a busy scheduale so can you make a auto door or do you have to buy one and what it the lowest price for one?

2. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    any one?????????????

3. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Do you have power out at your coop?

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
  5. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I spent $60 on the antenna opener but could not get it to work. I finally spent the big bucks for a Foy's model. I couldn't live without it but I wish I hadn't wasted the $60 first.

6. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    What part is broken?

You'll need something with a motor in it. There are lots of appliances and/or tools with electric motors. Depending on what you've got, you'll need to make sure you get the gearing correct. A drill motor would be a good choice.

7. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    google Add-a-Motor.
    I love mine!

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I bought mine for 70 bucks & around 10 bucks for a timer. Best investment ever. When its real cold out I can stay in the house. The company I bought mine from advertises here at BYC. I think they went up in price I believe their 80 bucks now. I've had mine for well over a year & its still working fine.

9. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Ditto on the Add-A-Motor. Easy to install on a simple door that slides in a track. Personally if ya not to handy, I would stay away from trying to "Rig" something from an antenna or drill motor, etc. Can be quite daunting to someone without mechanical skills or knowledge. Just my opinion. Good luck.
    Erik

10. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    my silkie coop has no electricity but a few yards away from the house in the headrow so i can look out my bedroom window and check on my baby. i can simply run a xtention cord out there though............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by