1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic doors: any suggestions.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Soot the silkie, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    We're going away for a month and don't want to saddle our neighbors entirely with the chickens they've already seen and heard more than enough of. I have heard of automatic chicken doors and was wondering if anyone has more information about them or could recommend any? Are they safe in general? My chickens are nefarious for not going in at night, but after many fiascos with chickens on the roof of our house, we've barricaded all possible roost spot a outside the coop. I still don't trust them, though...
    ;) Would you recommend an automatic door or not?

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We have an automatic door, love it but wouldn't trust it for a month away. Our's usually works as advertised BUT, last summer we were gone a week. My sister-in-law did come everyday to check on them but one day the string that raises/lowers the door broke trapping them inside the coop with no water (water is kept in the run). Even though our coop is large and well ventilated, it gets pretty warm on a hot, summer day. She was able to prop the door open which is not really an issue since it leads to a secure run until we got home and hubs could replace the string.

Sister-in-law got all the eggs and poo she could scoop for her garden in exchange for care. She was happy! Possibly your neighbors would be as well.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sounds like something I would be worried about the whole trip. I presume you free range your chickens?? They probably do not have a covered pen and have a coop to go in close dark----if they want? Am I guessing good? Automatic doors can close your coop but not gather your chickens up that are not inside. Me personally I would build a chicken run with atleast a net over the top for the chickens to stay in for the month I was gone----no free-ranging until I get back----good feeders to hold plenty of feed and automatic waterers----and a automatic door-then the neighbors do not have to baby sit them. Just check, add feed once a week, collect eggs every other day.

4. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Thanks, that's helpful, we were also planning on having someone check on them everyday, just not have to worry about waking up super early or always have a deadline about about putting them in. My girls wouldn't like to be trapped in the coop either.
    Oh we think our neighbours are happy with the arrangement, and we were planning on paying them, but it still seems like a long time.

5. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Yeah, that's pretty accurate. We have a pretty small run, which they never use, and stay in a large fenced area. It's not total free-range, but sort of. We haven't had any incidents of them not going in the coop for at least four months, but I see your point. It is one of my main concerns. I was also going to set up an automatic waterer and feeder, but thanks for confirming that for me, and for you advice in general!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by