Automatic doors on coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lapin63, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Lapin63

Lapin63 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    Does anyone have automatic chicken coop doors to let their chickens out in the morning? How do you like them.? I would actually like to find a "remote-controlled" door, but have none so far on the Internet.
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I'm ordering one for mine, it's at www.poultrybutler.com I'm looking forward to it! That one you can set with a light sensor or on a timer. I plan on using a timer myself, but the segments has a video on how to install and it looks very easy [​IMG]

3. <3ChickenS<3

<3ChickenS<3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Peterborough
    I bought the add-a-motor automatic chicken door, havent received it yet to try it. in the middle of coop construction.

4. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I have add-a-motors on both of my coop doors. Best investment I've ever made!

5. Nhbluebird

Nhbluebird Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Central NH
    I have used automatic coop door for 2yrs and love it. I have it set on a timer so that the chickens can get out in the run in the morning. Later on I let them free-range. I make sure they have plenty of food and water at night so that they'll be all set in the morning. If I want to sleep in I can. My birds have been out in the snow most of the winter. Part of their run is covered and they have loved it. So have I. Am planning another coop for 30 more layers and they too will have an automatic door. The only problem I had was I bought a wooden unit that fits in between wall studs. The door itself was wooden and swelled with the dampness so I took out the wooden door and replaced it with some plexiglass that I had and no more issues. Happy chickens and Happy Me!

6. Lapin63

Nov 15, 2010
    Thank you everyone for all of the helpful replies! My husband is still building the coop (I think we went a little overboard--will post photos once he is done) for 6 chickens that are paid for but not yet brought home. I just can't imagine getting up at 6 am with a toddler every morning, even in summer, to let the hens out. Thanks again! Now, can you tell me if any of you use ceramic or wooden eggs in the nest boxes to help the hens lay, or even to deter egg eating?
    Thanks and happy farming![​IMG]

7. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    I used wooden eggs until my girls all laid their first few eggs and it worked like a charm. Everybody lays exactly where they are supposed to.

8. Lapin63

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks-where did you buy the wooden eggs?
    Should I start a new forum each time I want to ask a Q?
    I was wondering if any of you knew where I could get rubber boots to wear outside/in the chicken coop--prefereably ones with chickens on them. THe PERFECT pair (with colorful chickens!) was on Gardener's supply website, but no longer available:

http://www.gardeners.com/Gardeners-Wellies/38-812,default,pd.html#

Aren't they perfect??!!!

9. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
  10. Lapin63

Nov 15, 2010
    Too funny on those chicken feet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by