Automatic egg turner necessary?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenfever, Dec 1, 2008.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Do you have to have the automatic egg turner with the hovabator? And is the Hova-bator w/turbofan better than the thermal air flow bator?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The circulated fan models hold a much more stable temperature than the thermal air flow ones. You don't have to use a turner, but it is convenient. Especially if you don't have time to turn the eggs several times a day or are forgetful.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Circulated air incubators are better than still air because they heat more evenly.
    As far as turners are concerned they're not at all necessary IMO. In fact some people here seem obsessed about turning when it's just not that critical. If you really watch a hen closely you'll see that mostly they adjust eggs when they get back on the nest & this is largely them getting comfortable again.
    Here's 2 examples of why I say turning just isn't that critical: 1] As an experiment I once set 18 Guinea Fowl eggs & did not touch them again. 28 days later 15 hatched. 2] On more than one occasion I have seen ducks nesting on the ground with their eggs so far pressed into the dirt at the bottom of the nest they couldn't be turned w/o prying them up with a stick-they always hatched well.
    Do I advocate wholesale nonturning? No, I'm sure there are some benefits to turning eggs in a incubator. That said I do think it's something people can relax a little more about. If you miss a scheduled turn it's no big deal. If you're an hour late it's even less of a deal.

4. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:hey i am very busy with school and dreadfully forgetful and i hand turn mine, and i usually get a 70-90 % hatch rate and that is with the thermal air flow one. [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Lucky you..not everyone is that lucky. [​IMG]

6. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    [​IMG] it has something to do with being born in march .

1 person likes this.
  7. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    OK, thanks guys. I think I'll go with the turbofan. If I was able to fiind one used, do you think that would be OK?

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Some eggs do better when turned, Guinea hatch well even when shipped. Guinea hen dont seen to turn them much, now chickens seen to turn their alot.

the fan will help with the temp. and you can set large and small eggs at the same time. (quail to geese).

Use if you check and sure everything works. Cost for new not bad. you can alway add a turner later if it to much work.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:hey i am very busy with school and dreadfully forgetful and i hand turn mine, and i usually get a 70-90 % hatch rate and that is with the thermal air flow one. [​IMG]

Well if you had turn them, you could had a 95 to 100% hatch.

Turning does give a better hatch rate. with fewer deform chicks.

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I am with NYRED. the only reason to turn an egg is to keep the yolk from settling to the side of the shell and sticking to the shell.. My eggs are so thick y ou couldn't push the yolk to the shell.. some people claim that turning exercises the chick.. come on, gimme a break..

If I had to turn by hand, I would not hatch eggs.. I do have 8 turners and I use them all.. I often wonder why I do.. It does keep the eggs neatly in rows.......LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by