Automatic Egg turner question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dimi, Mar 30, 2015.

1. dimi

dimi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    NJ
    Hi, all,

I am planning to hatch quail. Building my own incubator but planning on buying an automatic egg turner.

What are repercussions for using automatic turner designed for chicken eggs(like FARM INNOVATORS 3200) versus specifically designed for quail eggs (like HovaBator 1610 turner)?

Thank you,
    Dimi

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Quail egg turners are designed to hold alot more eggs than one for chicken eggs. Quail eggs will fall through the hole on most of the turners that are set-up for chicken eggs.

3. dimi

dimi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    NJ
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Hey, I hope you realize it is a small turner----about the size of a 18 egg---egg carton---a little wider. For a few more bucks you could have gotten a bigger turner that will hold 120 quail eggs---But you probably already know att that. "I" always remove the turner and lay the eggs flat at lock down----keeps the chicks from getting tangled up in the turner and keeps LOADS of poop of it---that you would have to probably take it apart to clean. Some people say they cut theirs off and let them hatch---to keep the poop/mess down they say as soon as a chick hatches they open it and get the chick---"I" say this is Not a Good Thing or I should say that will Not work in my area---the humidity will drop and the chicks will shrink wrap---Hatch rate will drop way down in my area and in MANY area's if you did that. Good Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by