Automatic egg turner?

chickenandrice

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Hi all, I have an homemade incubator that I have hatched some babies out of. I am now planning to build my own egg turner for my next hatch. I see the commercial style hold eggs on end, while some on YouTube have racks that roll the eggs. Anybody had more success with one over the other. The rolling seems more natural to me, but I assume the commercial ones are designed that way for a reason.

Greetings from Kansas, chickenandrice, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us. You might get more responses to your question if you post in the link below. Good luck to you and happy hatching!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I heard somewhere that you get better hatch results by hand turning the eggs instead of using an automatic turner. I don't know if this is true, but I personally prefer to hand turn. I think you should do as Redsoxs suggested and ask in the incubation section and see what the members there's experience has been.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I use and automatic turner in my Hova Bator, due to constraints of work I would not be able to turn the eggs frequently enough. It works fine, and is easy to clean and disinfect.

Thanks for all the responses. I turned the first ones by hand, but heard a hen turns 50 times a day and the hatchery once a hour. I can turn them three times daily but with work not every hour. I guess I need to know if more turning would make more or healthier babies. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom