Automatic Egg turners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LLCoyote, Oct 30, 2011.

1. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Are these a good idea for duck eggs? I've got an ugre to hatch some eggs (or just an excuse to make my hobby more expensive [​IMG] ). I've done some research on incubators and since none of my ducks are particularly broody, that is the method I'm choosing. I have the money to get an incubator with an egg turner but all of them have chicken pictures on it. I asked the guy at the co-op and here is my answer "Well, if it'll fit I guess it works for ducks" and... that doesn't sit well with me. I want to know if this is a good way to go for my eggs or not. Any suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Many people do find that they get better hatch rates when the eggs are roll turned- having them laying on their sides rather than upright has certainly worked for me and there are a variety of incubators that do come with this kind of option.

This is what I use

http://www.incubatorsandmore.com.au/IMST35A.html

There is a tray with partitions that moves - rolling the eggs at the preset time. The eggs are gently rolled over 180 degrees rather than tilted from side to side that only gives about a 90 degree difference.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I am useing a chicken egg turner with my ducks eggs and they are doing fine! Good luck!

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Best hatches will be with the duck eggs on their side and hand rolled. With high humidity.

They do seem to hatch if incubated in an egg turner, maybe just not as high a hatch rate.

The people with expensive ducks seem to all prefer on the side and hand rolled.

6. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I wanted to get a better hatch rate so I went to hand rolling last year, it went way down, of course this was before I talked to a breeder up here who hatches quite a few, they hand rolled half and used the turner on half with no better or no worse hatch results so I go for easier with the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by