Automatic Feeder vs. Manual Feeder

jennybvcr

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Connecticut
Hello! In a few weeks I will be adding four ducks to my pretend homestead and am very excited! I've done a bunch of reading and research, and feel pretty knowledgeable on many fronts, but one thing I haven't been able to get a handle on is whether I should use an automatic feeder or feed them manually once or twice a day.

It would seem to me that if you can just fill an automatic feeder every few days, why wouldn't you! Then I see/hear about people who prefer to do manual feeding once or twice a day.

Wondering if anyone can point out any pros or cons about either type of feeder or make any arguments for or against.

I use a automatic feeder due to work schedule. I want to make sure that they get all the food they want and will not go hungry if i do not get home in time to feed them. the bad part is if it rains i tend to loose some food because i do not have it in a covered area yet.

Thanks for the viewpoints. I guess my main concern/question is that it's ok to provide them with unlimited feed via an automatic feeder? I'm used to keeping dogs who will just eat themselves to death so the idea of providing food all the time is new to me!

Thanks for the viewpoints. I guess my main concern/question is that it's ok to provide them with unlimited feed via an automatic feeder? I'm used to keeping dogs who will just eat themselves to death so the idea of providing food all the time is new to me!
I am sure that you could have the occasional one that would or could. From i have learned and seen from the animals that I have had is if you raise them with food access 24/7 they are a lot less likely to go gluttony like that. Because they know that they can eat anytime they are hungry and will not run out.

it's ok to give them unlimited food, they should pretty much always have access to food unless you are free ranging, just be aware you will be giving other animals like mice/rats unlimited food as well. I feed my birds manually for two reasons, one reason is to keep feed out of the pen/run at night so pests arent tempted and the other is I free range part time and by limiting there feed at times It encourages them to forage

My ducks get 2 rubber livestock bowls that I always keep filled. Never had any issues with my ducks or chickens, however the wild birds also love the food. I don’t mind though because they don’t eat that much and I like watching them anyway. Usually my birds will not finish all the food and I pull it up at night. I don’t want to encourage anything to be hanging around.

I have taken preventative measures to not have pests so I don't know lol I imagine it would help but not stop it 100% mice/rats are great climbers.
some people have feeders that the chickens can open themselves. I literally just use two large metal dishes on the ground.
I grew up on a commercial chicken farm and they always have feed available and I have never been in a commercial chicken house that didnt have mice in it

Back
Top Bottom