1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

automatic heated water system????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kkowa, Aug 24, 2013.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I am building an 3 story breeding cage and I am just wondering what is the best automatic water design for this? It needs to be heated in the winter this is permanent caging for these birds it will have plenty of floor space but I am stuck on how to get it automatic and heated and I want one system but to go to all three cages with little supply cost? if anyone has any ideas please let me know!
    thank you

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. thriftyfarmer

thriftyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Hey kkowa,

You might try a pipe system wrapped in heat tape. Essentially you can use a nipple drinker system that supplies the water via Pex pipe (or other tubing/pipe) and then wrap it in heat tape for winter use. I've never used it for chickens, but I have used it for my water in a shack I once lived in. Pipes were exposed to elements and they never froze. The shower p-trap on the other hand... it froze (no heat tape there).

Wikipedia on Heat Tape

Heat Tape on Amazon

The other option is to have a system that is drainable and use water crocks in the winter. Chickens don't drink much water so getting them fresh water twice a day in open crocks would be sufficient.

Watering Crocks on Amazon (designed for dogs and cats, but they work great for chickens also.)

How many chickens total?

Anyone have experience with heat tape and watering chickens?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    it will be watering 6 bantams but they are not located on my premise so I will not be getting out there everyday

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A reservoir, heated, feeding a piped nipple system with a circulating pump to keep the water moving from the heated supply to the nipple and returning to the reservoir. Insulation or heat tape as needed. A small fountain pump should work.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. thriftyfarmer

Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    Ok thank you

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    If you use pipe and the power goes out, you will lose your entire system. You can view our system on my page. Essentially a 160 gallon Polly tank in insulated box with tank heater, submersable pump, self draining water line to five gallon bucket with nipples and bird bath heater. If power goes out, the bucket will freeze, but thaw quickly once power comes back. Works at a constant -30F with no issues at all. I wired the pump outlet to a light switch, to fill the bucket, flip a switch. 160 gallons lasted 3 months with 24 birds.

1 person likes this.
  8. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Quote: How do I get to your page? A link would be nice.

9. thriftyfarmer

Aug 24, 2013
  10. Christine1102

Christine1102 New Egg

Sep 17, 2016
    Where is your page? I would like to see the watering system you are talking about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by