Automatic pluckers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jamesrm, Jun 7, 2008.

1. jamesrm

jamesrm Featherbrained, at best!

Mar 26, 2008
    White House, TN
    Are they worth it? And, if they do get a bird bare, would the turkey version work on Cornish X's? I raise both and would not want to buy 2 of them.

2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    The June/July Issue of Backyard Poultry Magazine has a great article on how to make your own plucker. It might be of interest to you so you could make a size suitable for you. Good Luck!

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I would say that a plucker is worth the time and money if you have a lot of chickens to pluck. I have found that using work gloves with the rubber palms works great and also fast. It only takes me a few minutes to pluck my chickens now. Besides having the water at the right temperature when you dunk them. It's like the feathers melt right off when you rub your hands on them.

4. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    how can i get that issue of Backyard Poultry Magazine?

5. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Since it's the latest one, I'd visit any feed store and I'm sure they'd have it. If you cannot find it, PM me and maybe I can email it to you or something.

6. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    Thank you i would love to make me a plucker .Ill go tommorow to tnhe store.

7. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    COS
  8. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
  9. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Quote:I would like to find out "how" you get this done? I have never processed a chicken and do not know have the funds for a $500 plucker. I will try the hot water and glove technique.

Do we boil water in the kitchen over the stove? I think maybe better to have a firepit with a pot of water boiling outside.

Please describe your process and steps

Are you in the kitchen or out side? What is your source of hot water? Thanks I appreciate your advice. I will be processing 20 cornish broilers soon......

10. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

We tried to build one lst year. For the 30 we had, it really wasn't going to be worth it. If you had double that, I'd say it would be. We just could see that it was going to cost more and be more work that we were willing to put into it. In I think 6 hours we had them killed, plucked, and gutted by hand.

I do know some rental places have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by