Automatic Pop door..which is the best?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kybeagle, May 24, 2010.

1. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I am looking for an automatic pop door to go on my coop. The coop is built on 16" centers and I was wondering which pop door everyone likes the best? I would appreciate any input you experts out there have on this subject.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We have the one that Foy's carries, mounted on the inside, with a light sensor on a cable, that goes through a tiny hole in the wall. It has worked great for us. We specifically wanted a light sensor, so we didn't have to constantly change the setting on it. The sensitivity of the light sensor is adjustable and we did adjust ours.

If a timer is what you want, you can get a timer version from that manufacturer, too. Wells Poultry also has them for sale. You can also look at other manufacturers or even make one yourself. There are several threads on the forum that you can search for.

3. dr evil

dr evil New Egg

May 20, 2010
    I bought an automatic door from Utah and didn't have good results. I finally gave up on the door and just secured the run and chicken house very well.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Built my own using the D20 motor from add-a-motor. Home automations has the motors for $20 less than add-a-motor. Pretty simple, and after adding a $5 outlet timer, you are good to go.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have the foys inside mount with light sensor and love it. It works on batteries too, so there's no need to have electricity to your coop. It opens about 30 mins or so before the chickens come out and closes about 1 hour after they go in. (it's adjustable and we didn't want anyone getting stuck outside) We also woke up on full moon nights to make sure it wasn't opening in the middle of the night. (it wasn't)

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you're handy, you can make your own with a drapery motor and digital timer. Ours has worked like a champ since December.

7. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Foys is out of stock! Has anyone else ordered a automatic door opener that they just didn't like other than "dr evil" or had a bad experince with them. Also if you have ordered a particular brand that you love, then let me know! Thanks

8. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    Quote:I have one ordered and is on backorder. Can't wait to get it installed.

9. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Foys has the outside mount door in stock (although the inside mount is out of stock) so I ordered this today. I figured it might not look as nice but it should work fine. Was this a mistake??

10. mtullis

mtullis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Bend, Or
    the company is AXT Electronic
    you can order directly-i just did the other day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by