Automatic re-filling feeder and waterer designs?

Eggstravaganza

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
So I'm trying to get a small flock going at my school, but I'm going to be gone after this year. I want the flock to be maintained after I leave so I'm looking for some feeders and waterers that will kind of re-fill themselves just by gravity or whatever. Anything that requires minimal work/refilling because the whole thing is going to be volunteer-run and I want it to be as simple as possible for those helping out. Anybody know any good designs for these kinds of things?

Eggstravaganza, I am currently using The Thirsty Bird.com waterer for my flock and it works great. I never have to worry that my girls are without water when I am gone or during the hot Summers we have. I just hung The Thirsty bird up as per directions and hooked it up to a faucet and that is all I have ever done, no cleaning except to inspect occasionally, has been working for several months now and the girls love it. Hope this helps. Don

Just went to the site and it looks like a pretty great waterer. My one question is can you hook up a hose to it? LIke will the plastic tubing fit onto the end of a hose?

Yes, it comes with a hose adapter to the 1/4" hose, they also sell a water pressure regulator if your water pressure is over 60 psi and I am using the Thirsty Chick for my new chicks. Now there is no way my chicks can drown or get sick from drinking contaminated water. The Thirsty Bird has an internal float valve that keeps it full of water all the time. Glad I could help. Don

Last edited:
The chicken waterer cups work great for low maintenance watering. Using a system with a float valve allows you to never have to refill. I check on mine once every month so it frees up my time.

Back
Top Bottom