Automatic temperature controlled ice water dispenser. PIX & directions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NellaBean, Jul 24, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    That is a very fancy way of saying "divert your air conditioner condensate drain into a dish".

The hotter it is, the more the air conditioner runs, the more ICE COLD condensate is created.....this 3 gallon hog pan was full in about an hour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been just letting it drain onto the ground and the girls would come over and drink it straight out of the pipe, out of the big puddles on the ground, and also just stand around in it to cool their feet. The bowl will give them a nice big "puddle" to drink out of...that should stay a bit cleaner....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Thats Awsome !! [​IMG] Is the water clean? For some reason i thought the water from AC Was dirty lol. That is awsome and a totally urban going green way to go. [​IMG]

3. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    Quote:i am in the HVAC field and this will work providing 3 things:

1) you keep the trap on the drain inside clean...will grow algae type substance.
    2) you dont use any pan treatments to clean your drain
    3) you dont have a leak in your a/c system. if you have a leak and it is in the evap coil (inside coil) the oil from the system will be in the water. this is VERY bad if you have a system that uses R410a refrigerant. the oil this uses turns to acid when it comes in contact with water!

just food for thought [​IMG]

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    All good points, Mickistoy. In my case, it drains into the backyard automatically and my chickens and ducks have been playing in it for months without dying, so I am hoping for the best [​IMG]

Also, I have a relatively new, relatively nice air conditioner. Hopefully no leaks or strange cleaners.

Having said that, do this at your own risk [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by