Automatic turner question take it out or leave it in??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dani2, Apr 28, 2008.

1. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Hi,

I am a newbie and have my first batch of eggs going our incubator has a automatic turner and I know you are supposed to stop turning for the last three days but are you supposed to actually take the turner out? It seems with the turner it would be hard for the chicks to even try and get up or get out of there shells. The incubator we have going holds 70 eggs if I take it out how quickly do I need to do it I always worry when we have to open it to check anything that we are letting the heat out and we are going to ruin the eggs. Thanks in advance Nicki [​IMG]

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    yes, you need to remove the turner. Most effective way, in my opinion, would be to use an egg carton to prevent dropping and breaking one as you are removing them from the turner. Makes it quicker too. I dropped one when I tried to remove them without a carton to hold till the transfer was done. What ever makes it easier and fast but not so fast that you accidentally drop one.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes. The last 3 days the incubators are supposed to be taken out.

4. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:Sun...meant turners, right? [​IMG]

5. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Thanks so much for the help now all I have to do is keep counting the day [​IMG]

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Speckled Hen taught me to keep a paper and pencil by the incubator and document each day. I date it and put the temp and humidity down for each day. I also count the days on the calendar....sometimes I even get those mixed up. [​IMG] That way you have something to go by the next time you incubate. If I add water, I put that down, too.

7. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Probably a dumb question here, but once the turner comes out do I continue to turn the eggs? How often should I turn those eggs the last three days?

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    No, you do not turn the eggs the last 3 days. You just leave them alone, increase your humidity and leave then sit on your hands. [​IMG]

9. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Thank you!!! This is day 18 for us and we are so excited!!!

10. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    now just sit back and don't open the incubator. Now the fun begins [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by