Automatic Turner Question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I have a Hova Bator and the yellow turner that goes in there. I just set 15 eggs. Its my first time using a turner. I usually do it by hand and it is a pain! [​IMG] Is there a specific way to lay them in the turner? They are big end up and slightly on their side. I think its right, but from looking at it, it will be totally different than turning them from the X to the O side when turned by hand. Hope I made some sense [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

yep...big end up, small end down in the turner.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yep, big end up, and set it and forget it! Day eighteen take them out of the turner and leave them be, bump your humidity up to 60% and say your prayers or cross your fingers or what have you.... Keep us posted!

4. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thank you so much, it just seems so different. Not trusting the turner as of yet! [​IMG]

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Fingers are crossed!! [​IMG] Thanks. [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Just a word of warning....it moves incredibly slow. Look where it is when you start and then go back in an hour to see if it's moved.

7. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I ways tape a piece of paper to the top of my incubator with an arrow pointed in the direction that my eggs are laying in the turner ,just so I can check if it is runnning like it should,if tomorrow morning it is leaning in the other direction then you know it is working.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I simply can't wait until I get my bator and some fertile eggs to put in it.

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Its funny you say that, because I did.(tape on the side it started on) Its moving fine. I've had it running for 2 days now and I still don't trust it with my babies. [​IMG]

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:The sooner the better right? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by