1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

automatic turner vs. hand turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, Apr 29, 2008.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Personally I enjoy hand turning because it gives me a reason to candle them and check their progress, and its more interactive. But has anyone had any signifigantly better hatches using automatic turners?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I do both and see no difference in the hatch rates...I like hand turning the best too....

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Hand turning a few was fun to me, but this time I have 40+ eggs in the bator. It would take way to long with the lid open for me to turn this many. Saves on room too [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

how many times a day should you hand turn?

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You turn odd number of times...I like 3, I turn around 8 a.m., 2 p.m. and 9 p.m., anywhere along those times... some turn 5 times...

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I turned 24 eggs by hand my first time I ever incubated. And I got 22 peeps. Hens turn the eggs 95 times a day (on average), so I am surprised that theres no dif.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  7. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I tried an automatic turner last year and this year and my hatch rate was less then half.
    Now I was also turning by hand in another incubator and out of 9 duck eggs I have lost 1 and have all the rest either out of the shell or pipping right now.

I do not think I will use the atuomatic again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by