Automatic waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ssteiner, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    So I was at the feed store today and I saw an automatic waterer. It just so happens that my run happens to be near a hose spigot. So, I hooked it up. I'm just wondering if people have any experience with this device. It seems pretty handy. I'm in southern California, so no danger of ice. Thanks.

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    we have one, it sits on a two cinder blocks that are side by side. it is handy! less buckets to carry around, we have goats and a donkey, so we have to have buckets for them.
    the other morning there was a thin layer of ice on the top and i wrapped the hose going to the waterer with newspaper, some other material and duct tape. The next morning, no ice at all!
  3. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    if it's the big bowl kind, the only advice I have is make sure to cover it with wire if you have chicks.
  4. waldeneffect

waldeneffect Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    southwest Virginia
    I have recently come up with a solution that has solved the problem without electricity.

Chickens don't drink water at night, they roost and sleep.

I visit my chickens anyway every morning, so why not make the container easy to carry so I can take it in at night when it's below freezing?

If I take it in at night it's got to be clean.

My chickens will never drink dirty water again.

On really cold days I just simply replace the frozen container with a fresh one that has warm water in it a couple of times a day depending on how cold it is.

You can easily rig up a light bulb to warm it if you live in really cold climates.

I sell them at my farm blog for cheap....there's even a do it yourself kit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by