Automatic waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mister B, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    I just got chickens and discovered that they will, if given half a chance, knock over any water container. So, I decided to make an automatic waterer. I have a party balloon helium tank I was saving because it looked like it would eventually be useable. I took off the balloon filling part and pulled out the valve for filling the balloons. I was left with the big plastic nut. I ran a piece of flexible plastic hose (I had some oxygen line from a salvage store) and epoxied it in place. I cut a hole near the top and put in a PVC valve and hose fitting. The idea is a gravity fed waterer that will hold about 2 gallons. That should be enough for my birds for several days. I have to find a watering trough to hook it in to and get some more epoxy. But, for a "found" device, I think it will work.

2. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    Didn't work as well as I thought. I think I made some mistake somewhere about the vacuum formed. I thought the air would travel back up the water hose? It doesn't. Also, there must be an air leak somewhere, because water does flow down, but it doesn't stop when the hose is underwater.
    I think I will run a second tube to the top of the helium tank as an air tube. I will zip tie the two together and I , "think" when the two are under water, the water flow will stop. I have to find the leak as well. I will take pictures in a few days and post them here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by