Automatic Waterers

webdawg

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Kingman, Az
I just received mine and I'm going to hook it to a 45 gallon water tank for gravity feed.

This is the largest one I could find at 6 1/2". Looks kind of small to me.

The add says it waters 300 birds.

waterer.jpg

Webdawg...are you concerned about the water in your reservoir tank getting really warm in your Arizona summers? How long will 45 gallons last? I was considering the same type of set-up because I have a long walk from the nearest spigot and not enough money to run a permanent water line to the coop.

The tank will be kept in my coop which hangs around 90 degrees at the hottest point of the day and has good ventilation. I have a 10,000 gallon metal tank I use for the house and it works just fine. Not sure yet how long it will last. I will be putting 17 in the coop when they get older. PS....the waterer was $17 and the tank $40.
Quote:

Last edited:
Do you have water delivered to your home tank or is it filled from a well? That is an interesting set-up.
I'm sure that one bowl will be adequate for 17 hens. They won't all be trying to drink at once.

Most out here have water delivered at 1 1/2 cents per gallon. A well is around $40,000. The big tank has a big gauge and the water company fills it when needed. I like this better then shelling out $40,000.
watertank.jpg

Quote:

can you hook that bowl up to a water hose?
looks like a good idea. I carry gallons of water out to the coop every day...gets tiring....I 'd like to have auto water too!

I have recently bought the same waterer and I thought you had to us a pressurized hose or plumbing for it. Can I us it with gravity flow? I have a 5 gal. tank I use right now.

Back
Top Bottom