1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic Waterers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by webdawg, May 20, 2007.

1. webdawg

webdawg Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    I just received mine and I'm going to hook it to a 45 gallon water tank for gravity feed.

This is the largest one I could find at 6 1/2". Looks kind of small to me.

The add says it waters 300 birds.

[​IMG]

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Webdawg...are you concerned about the water in your reservoir tank getting really warm in your Arizona summers? How long will 45 gallons last? I was considering the same type of set-up because I have a long walk from the nearest spigot and not enough money to run a permanent water line to the coop.

3. webdawg

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    The tank will be kept in my coop which hangs around 90 degrees at the hottest point of the day and has good ventilation. I have a 10,000 gallon metal tank I use for the house and it works just fine. Not sure yet how long it will last. I will be putting 17 in the coop when they get older. PS....the waterer was $17 and the tank $40.
    Quote:

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Do you have water delivered to your home tank or is it filled from a well? That is an interesting set-up.
    I'm sure that one bowl will be adequate for 17 hens. They won't all be trying to drink at once.

5. webdawg

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    Most out here have water delivered at 1 1/2 cents per gallon. A well is around $40,000. The big tank has a big gauge and the water company fills it when needed. I like this better then shelling out $40,000. [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Thats a pretty impressive water tank [​IMG] That's almost a half years worth of water right there (in my house).

7. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    can you hook that bowl up to a water hose?
    looks like a good idea. I carry gallons of water out to the coop every day...gets tiring....I 'd like to have auto water too!

8. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    I have recently bought the same waterer and I thought you had to us a pressurized hose or plumbing for it. Can I us it with gravity flow? I have a 5 gal. tank I use right now.

9. webdawg

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    It works off of pressure or gravity and yes you can use a hose.
    Quote:

10. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    where can I find the auto waterer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by