Automatic Watering bowl

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by woodmort, Sep 19, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've seen something like that in TSC -- if they still have it, you could decide for yourself how well made it is.

3. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    MM has a video showing the waterer being set up and used, it seem the guy has to almost fight his chickens off to keep them away from it long enough to fill. Wonder how long they let them go thirsty before the shot the video? Actually I'm thinking of this a more of a backup for when I lock my chickens up when we're out of town so it has to be reliable.

4. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    yes i use them in all 3 of my pens and my meat birds and have no complaints on them all you need is a adapter because on the bowl the opening for the hose is 1/2 in and you need a 3/4 for a garden hose

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I bought one and have been driving around with it in my car for a month. Guess I really need to get out there and set it up.
    sharon

6. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Thanks for the head's up. I have a 1/2 in drinking water safe hose to use from the hydrant. Guess I'll order one.

7. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    these can not be set on the ground they must be hung. i think there is a cheaper place fleming outdoors. i would recommend the stand if you cant hang it in the spot you are going to put it. they way they work is the weight of the water controls the the on and off valve in it grate little water i hope that makes sense

8. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Actually I hang it on the wall where I have my 8-gallon double walled. Won't be able to use it once it gets cold anyway so will take it down in the winter and put the waterer back. The water to my coop is from a hydrant system and the hydrant itself is just outside the door--can't be hooked to a hose once it gets below freezing or the water in the hydrant will freeze. Don't go away in the winter anyway so that'll be fine.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
  10. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Smith's and Cutler's are cheaper I bought one will be putting up for when we leave too....I've been using the 3 1/2 gallon bucket waterers they have a base $9.50 and I get the buckets for free a little heavy to turn over but they've been working well....we lose power so I need more than one kind and more heat than cold....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by