Automatic watering systems?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PianoMan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. PianoMan

PianoMan New Egg

Jul 8, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    I am increasing my flock to 30 birds and I foresee the need for an automating watering system. Can someone point me to a thread about these or let me know what you are doing? I do have water going to the coop so I could do a low pressure system like I've seen in the McMurray catalog but It would be REALLY helpful if I could do something that would work throughout the winter i.e. circulating the water so it doesn't freeze or heating it. Thankyou!

2. AlexKilpatrick

AlexKilpatrick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I just installed an automatic waterer from http://www.beaktime.com/ It was pretty easy to install, but I don't know if it is something that would be good for large numbers of chickens. (I have about 15)

3. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:If all 30 of your birds are about the same size and in one group two nipple drinkers in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with an aquarium heater would do the trick in the winter and work well without the heater in the warmer months.

Circulation will work but it is a PITA because of the pressure. Without a lot of safeguards there will be water wasteage when the birds drink, at best.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    two nipple drinkers in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with an aquarium heater would do the trick in the winter and work well without the heater in the warmer months.

+1 for this one!​

5. ID Pam

ID Pam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Treasure Valley area
    Quote:If all 30 of your birds are about the same size and in one group two nipple drinkers in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with an aquarium heater would do the trick in the winter and work well without the heater in the warmer months.

Circulation will work but it is a PITA because of the pressure. Without a lot of safeguards there will be water wasteage when the birds drink, at best.

That would be worth a try. I have not had fish in years, but the last aquariam heater I had required it be submerged in water using a clip on the edge of an aquarium. I would worry about the water level going down and the heater exploding. Do you know if they make anything that floats to eliminate that issue? At this point I have a plug in waterer ready to go, but it is smaller than I like. I don't mind dealing with water once a day in the winter cold, but I am getting pretty old to battle it twice.[​IMG]

Pam in ID

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    That would be worth a try. I have not had fish in years, but the last aquariam heater I had required it be submerged in water using a clip on the edge of an aquarium. I would worry about the water level going down and the heater exploding. Do you know if they make anything that floats to eliminate that issue? At this point I have a plug in waterer ready to go, but it is smaller than I like. I don't mind dealing with water once a day in the winter cold, but I am getting pretty old to battle it twice.

Pam in ID

I have an aquarium heater that was on for months in dry gravel before I found it that way when I wanted to use it again. Still works great. Suprised me. The design of some years ago would not have survived such abuse. Also it was low watage.

I would not pour cold water on a dry, hot glass heater tube in any case. Technology has not come that far.

You can rig threaded nipple drinkers in the bottom of a pail so that they would not use the last two or three inches of water leaving the heater submerged. I should make one of these up and get a picture for you. I'll see what time I have.

ETA
    The heater I had layed on the bottom of the aquarium.​

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. ID Pam

ID Pam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Treasure Valley area
    Quote:I have an aquarium heater that was on for months in dry gravel before I found it that way when I wanted to use it again. Still works great. Suprised me. The design of some years ago would not have survived such abuse. Also it was low watage.

I would not pour cold water on a dry, hot glass heater tube in any case. Technology has not come that far.

You can rig threaded nipple drinkers in the bottom of a pail so that they would not use the last two or three inches of water leaving the heater submerged. I should make one of these up and get a picture for you. I'll see what time I have.

ETA
    The heater I had layed on the bottom of the aquarium.

I would appreciate pictures as well as the brand name of a heater that would lay on the bottom. I can always try to buy one on line if I knew the brand name. Thanks in advance for or time.

Pam in ID

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    You can always check a local feed store if you have one. Mine carries heaters specifically to be added to water buckets in the chicken section. I'll check the brand for you when I get a chance.

9. Djinmonet

Djinmonet New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    Avianaquamiser.com has a DIY kit that can be adapted many ways, one of those is the pvc pipe waterer, low pressure, for warmer weather. There are a number of posts on there about attaching the kits to the bottom of heated buckets for winter. From what I understand these do not leak, unless you have some crazy bird pecking at a nipple without wanting to drink, but still less water dripping than you would have with a real leak. You could of course, just buy nipples and build your own, but their kit comes with all sorts of instructions. I think the website actually had more, and was just as helpful to me as the instructions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by