Autopoop.. designing for easy poop cleaning

Yevesman

Chirping
Mar 26, 2020
Australia
Greetings all,

I was curious to see if any of you had achieved a coop design that made cleaning after poop particularly easy.

I know a board poop works for many but I’m looking for a design that solves it a bit further.

I was hoping to see designs where at least some of the poop falls directly into a specific area.

Some of you will find this abhorrent or odd.. to each their own, I’m wanting to hear from those who have deployed solutions.

Thanks!

This was a pretty clever design posted recently, though as someone noted it's probably highly dependent on climate https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-coop-poop-tube.1512306/
I hope they keep this thread updated to see if it works long term.

anyone else??? Don’t be shy.. really curious to see how people solve this.
I really don't think there is an easy 'automatic' way to deal with poop.
Not that I've seen on here in 9 years of reading daily.
Eventually you'll have to scoop/rake/shovel it up....and it can cause issues while it piles up.

How many birds do you have?
What kind of coop do you use?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1647860377303.png

I built what I called a poop drawer. It was a piece of plywood that sat under my roosts and sat on angle iron, which acted as drawer slides. I covered it with a few different materials shower curtain, visqueen, etc but the thing that worked best was cheap vinyl flooring sheets like you'd put in a bathroom. I'd pull the "drawer" out every week or so, then scrape the poop off into a wheelbarrow or bin.

This is unfortunately the best photo i have of it i think. The roosting area is in the upper left side surrounded by panels of siding that were removable during the summer for a true open air design.
DSC_0279.JPG

Last edited:
I hope they keep this thread updated to see if it works long term.

I really don't think there is an easy 'automatic' way to deal with poop.
Not that I've seen on here in 9 years of reading daily.
Eventually you'll have to scoop/rake/shovel it up....and it can cause issues while it piles up.

How many birds do you have?
What kind of coop do you use?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3031854
Hmmmm… it’s ok if you don’t have a solution. We’re all here to learn from each other constructively. In that other amazing thread I asked for more photos which the author provided, and I continue to think it is possible to design well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-coop-poop-tube.1512306/page-3#post-25515540

Obviously I’m not asking for the impossible, just examples of ideas that make poop management a bit easier and better than “poop board”, and clearly there are such ideas implemented out there which we can explore if we keep an open mind.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom