Autosexing Delawares........Help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Autosexingwares, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Autosexingwares

Autosexingwares Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    what would it take to create Autosexing Delawares? can you help me?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Silver Welsummer Hen is your ticket to Autosexing Delawares, pretty easy Autosexing project, kind of like the Rhodebar project where going back to Parent line with e+/eWh F1 but easier as the Parent on this case is already barred and has good type..

1 person likes this.
  3. Autosexingwares

Autosexingwares Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    what is e+/ewh and what is going back to parent line?

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    you see eWh is the wheaten e allele, impossible to autosex, so we need e+ from the silver welsummer so a cross of both breeds will produce e+/eWh chicks, this males will be cros back to delaware to produce better e+/eWh chicks...

5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    keep us updated on your project

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    You can not produce an autosexing delaware. The breed is either autosexing or not autosexing.

I am going to have to disagree with Marvin. Hybrids are not an autosexing breed; especially columbian restricted birds. There is not only the problem with columbian restriction but the birds are also hybrids. If you cross the two hybrids they will produce some chicks that can not be autosexed. The addition of the wild type allele at the E locus ( a wheaten/wild type hybrid) can produce striped backs on the hybrid chicks but the columbian gene will lighten the color on the back as will the barring gene.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:since chick color Down is not part of any the SOP I doubt Autuosexing Delawares would look any different than your every day Delawares and the SOP is all about phenotype not genotype right?

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Tim I did said to keep breeding back the e+/eWh birds back to Delaware parents as to make them true delawares and not Hybirds(F1 cross)... Columbian and Autosexing trait(wildtype + sexlink barring) dont conflict with each other, case in point Rhodebars

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Rhodebars are Wildtype Barred Columbian restricted and their chicks are Autosexing so its possible Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by