Autosexing with the barring gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickFarmer, May 22, 2010.

1. ChickFarmer

ChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    The sex linked barring gene, (B) when added to parellel pencilling (Ab), or a striped chick down, or the down color of mottled breeds, (mo) results in autosexing. I would love pictures of autosexing adults and chicks, male and female, with those gene mixes. I'm devising a plan for making the Eastbarr. (Insert evil laugh here.) The Eastbarr would be an autosexing EasterEgger. (I am aware of the Cream Legbar.) Here is a partial list of genes I would include.

> Mb= beard-muff (incomplete dominant may have to double up on this one)
    > O= blue eggshell
    > P= pea comb
    > E/E= two doses of black extender (black feathers)
    > S= silver (supresses red)
    > B= barring (sex linked males have B/B, females have B)
    > K= Slow feathering (gives more defined barring may or may not be included)

Here is a site I found helpful. http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html Poultry Genetics for the Nonprofessional

Thank you all

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Just so that you know Barred Rocks that you get from hatcheries are quite fast feathering. In Barred Rocks the slower the feathering the better the barring...

Chris

3. ChickFarmer

ChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    I'll look to breeders for my parent stock so long as I can find one who has maintained laying ability.

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    You want Columbian gene too. Sharpens the barring and may suppress the red leakage.

5. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Which sex will be barred? If I may ask.

6. mandk2309

mandk2309 Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    I'm not sure if this helps at all. This is our Wheaten Ameraucana (male) x Barred Rock (female). According to all the research I have done it should be a rooster. The last 2 pics are 2 days old, the top 1week and middle 2 today 4.5 weeks. (It changed th order when I posted)

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by